LOGIN to post messages, upload log files
and access membership list
Discussion Forum
All posts subject to Decency Guidelines !

Forums | ASA General | Subject:Hobbs wx Log on to post a reply !
Author Thread
Bob ThompsonReply: posted - 12 July 2010 18:52
That's why I'm glad my Ventus came with a custom lock on the gear handle that will not allow the handle to move from gear down until a thumb mechanism is moved. Cheap insurance. As is the gear up warning when the spoilers are opened with the gear up.
TunoReply: posted - 12 July 2010 18:33
Sounds like Gary fell victim to the famous Schempp-Hirth self-actuating gear lever. Didn't have that happen with my V2C but I heard several stories.
Ralph BerghReply: posted - 12 July 2010 15:57
I spoke to Gary Ittner about his landing with his Discus 2. He said that the gear collapsed. He said he did not know why it collapsed. He said that he had had rougher landings in the past without collapse of the gear.
Andy DurbinReply: posted - 11 July 2010 18:15
I forgot to mention that Itner, P7, was signed up to fly standard at Hobbs. He had a gear up out landing with the D2 on PD2 and decided to fly the spare ASG-29 he had also brought with him in open class.

Anyone want to donate a spare ASG-29 to me??

Steve KoernerReply: posted - 11 July 2010 12:14
By comparison there are 31 signed up for the 15M contest. That is a lot more than were ever signed up for Hobbs.

I used to figure that 15M would probably decline relatively as the std ships improved more than 15M gliders have improved, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I suppose part of what keeps 15M strong is the new dual 15/18 gliders.

I'm sure the economy is keeping a lot of people at home too. Nationals aren't cheap.

Andy DurbinReply: posted - 11 July 2010 11:02
There was a low sign up for the contest when the weather looked good. TS1 dropped out because of the new job and others dropped out when the weather went foul.

I don't think it is just Std class that has seen a decline in attendance.

Andy

Steve KoernerReply: posted - 10 July 2010 15:48
I'm curious as to why the standard class was so poorly attended. Were there a lot of folks who dropped out when they saw the hurricane coming or is the standard class simply dying out at the national level? Certainly there was some time available to discuss this at Hobbs.
Andy DurbinReply: posted - 10 July 2010 10:28
I don't think I have heard the term "bleak" used in a contest weather report before. I was used several times during the contest by Walt Rogers and several times during the briefing for the last day. Trouble was, for this day, it was wrong.

Based on the forecast weather, and probably influenced by the pilot reports of very difficult conditions the previous day, CD called the last day at noon. I was assembled and ballasted. As I derigged I watched the Cu filling the sky and the bases slowly lifting. By about 1pm Hobbs ATIS indicated that bases had risen to 3,100 agl and they continued to rise and the rain of the previous day did not happen.

Could we have flown a task and made a contest, who knows. I'm glad I didn't have to make the call.

Andy

TunoReply: posted - 9 July 2010 11:32
I see now on the CD's blog that the contest was called on Thursday. Open Class had a contest, but ...

"With only three contest days out of the required four, the Standard Class does not have an official contest. They came up short by less than one mile of distance flown."

Ouch.

TunoReply: posted - 9 July 2010 11:28
No reports in a few days, the last SPOT I see for GY is a landout NW of Lovington on Wednesday, and Skywalker's SPOT is highway trace from Deming to Avra Valley. Contest bagged?
Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 7 July 2010 7:34
Same again today, slightly lower CAPE. Sorry!

Mike the Strike

Discus 2B WA

Andy DurbinReply: posted - 6 July 2010 19:50
There was a task for both classes today. Low bases to S and better looking Cu to N so CD decides to tow the STD fleet out north, downwind, and even with the allowed 2.5k tow not in reach of the clouds. After everyone struggled back we were set a very short AST for std class. CD made the mistake of saying nicking the turns would give min dist and one competitor did just that and fell short of min dist. There may be a protest and if upheld the day could be thrown out.

I had a very slim glide back from Lovington for a rolling finish. Gave me 3rd for the day and moved up to 3rd overall. WA got shot down before the start and elected not to relight.

Still a chance of a std class contest but no great hope for any decent tasking.

Andy

Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 6 July 2010 6:55
Hobbs soundings on Tuesday look virtually identical to yesterday's - still showing a high CAPE and a very juicy atmosphere. Cloudbase will be somewhere around 7,000 feet MSL again. Chance of decent cross-country flying looks extremely slim.

Mike the Strike

Discus 2B WA

Andy DurbinReply: posted - 6 July 2010 6:23
Hobbs can be very good but my last 2 times here 2004 and this year were terrible.

Everyone with a span less than 20m landed out yesterday except Chip Garner. He made it round the minimum task but the day will not count as no one else made min distance (at least that was the picture at 10pm).

We now have to get 3 contest days in a row for std class and that is looking unlikely. There is no provision in the rules for scrubbing the contest but the prospect of getting 4 scoring days for standard and meeting the percentage of winner's score rule look bleak.

If today is not a valid day for std class it's all over and I can head back to Phoenix to toast my bones.

Andy

Michael StringfellowReply: posted - 5 July 2010 20:41
Eric called me minutes after he landed out in a field full of gliders that WA was intact. Conditions were very soft, top of the lift around 7,000 feet, and obviously didn't support any sort of cross-country flying.

With the amount of water on the ground (Hobbs had over 6 inches in the past few days), I doubt that even a day or two of sunshine will produce any decent soaring. If I were CD, I'd probably call it right now and save more expense and embarrassment. Unfortunately, there is a sort of mythology about Hobbs (perhaps from SSA relocating there) that it is some sort of soaring Mecca. Not so! Check OLC!

Mike the Strike

Discus 2B WA

This thread is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3

Log on to post a reply !